Saturday, April 08, 2006

The Maltese Falcon

Sam Spade: I've no earthly reason to think I can trust you.
If I do this and get away with it, you'll have something on me...
...that you can use whenever you want to.
Since I've got something on you...
...I couldn't be sure that you wouldn't put a hole in me someday.
All those are on one side.
Maybe some of them are unimportant. I won't argue about that.
But look at the number of them.
What have we got on the other side?
All we've got is that maybe you love me and maybe I love you.

Brigid O'Shaughnessy: You know whether you love me or not.

Sam Spade: Maybe I do. I'll have some rotten nights after I've sent
you over, but that'll pass. If all I've said doesn't mean anything to
you... ...then forget it and we'll make it just this:
I won't, because all of me wants to regardless of consequences...
...and because you've counted on it...
...the same as you counted on it with all the others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home